Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Create Beauty - TeachTolerance

"The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation." ~"Rent" by Jonathan Larson


A late night conversation with a new (and wise beyond his years) friend led me to the Illamasqua website today. I was vaguely familiar with some of their products and have seen in their collections how they represent makeup as art and self-expression. I've always thought their campaigns were "edgy", "out there", "dark" and "cool". I was completely unaware, however, about their roots in subculture and their work to protect people in it. I came across their page about S.O.P.H.I.E. and my heart broke.




I express who I am inside and how I feel in my makeup and what I wear. I encourage my children to learn who they are and share it with the world. I'm so proud when they hear "a different drummer" and aren't afraid to march to it.

Then I read about Sophie and I'm terrified. And sad. And tired. I'm tired of fear. I'm tired of hate. I'm tired of intolerance. I'm tired of people telling other people they're "less than" because they're different. We're ALL different. I want to scream it from a rooftop, "WE'RE ALL DIFFERENT! AND WE'RE ALL HUMAN! AND WE ALL DESERVE RESPECT! STOP BEING AFRAID OF WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!"

And that's the crux of it, isn't it? People often hate what they fear and they fear what they do not understand. What's more, people are afraid to learn about and try to understand the unfamiliar. Why is that, I wonder? Is it because they're jealous of someone who seems more in touch with their "authentic self"? Are they threatened by those who have the confidence to honor and express their uniqueness? Does it piss them off that someone else feels they have the right to be real, when they themselves feel they have to conform?

I don't know. But what I do know is that Sophie could be one of my children someday. Or yours. It's terrifying to think about. And it's wrong. Plain wrong.

We HAVE to stop the hate that's tearing at our world. Renting it, if you will. It IS war. And we have to fight it with creation.

Create beauty.

Create love.

Create tolerance.

Please.

3 comments:

  1. by buying the Sophie pencil from this brand you make a donation of part of the proceeds, i cant remember how much but im pretty sure its a lot or all of it, to this foundation as well, and who doesn't need another black eyeliner?

    also, as someone who has suffered for my sexuality at the hands of the general public i appreciate this post so much dear, <3

    -Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for adding that, Josh. Here's the page for anyone interested. http://www.illamasqua.com/shop/catalogue/products/sophie-pencil/58/ That's going to be my first Illamasqua purchase.

    And no one should ever have to suffer for who they love. All love is precious. You'll get nothing but support here, sweetie. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. The S.O.P.H.I.E. program is really beautiful. It's tragic she had to lose her life because she simply was "different", but the purpose of the foundation is inspiring and I remember being so happy when I learned that a brand such as Illamasqua would help bring light to it and support it. Beautiful post you've made!! <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete